I'm getting such a thrill from Amy's fantastic mailorder project. I received my package this past Saturday and decided to get right to work. Taking inspiration from Project Spectrum for April (yellow and orange), I selected fabric for the mailorder bonnet.
The yellow floral fabric is a vintage fabric I picked up thrifting some time ago. It's quite sheer, so I decided to back it with some nice muslin before adding the orange for the lining, so as to avoid any shadow-through. I also decided to use the child's size pattern for Brynne, rather than the infant/toddler size, because extremely large heads run in Jerry's family!
The pattern worked perfectly (great job Amy!), and I dug up the perfect length of orange satin ribbon from my stash of trims for the bonnet tie. Brynne loves her new bonnet, although for some reason she thinks it's just the thing for going out in the rain! As you can see, it's a good thing I went with the larger size!
I also had fun with the amazing little envelope template that was part of the mailorder fun. I had just picked up some cool scrapbooking papers with no real intended purpose. Well, they were perfect for making up the cutest little handmade envelopes!
You can beg, plead, and bribe, but I will not reveal the secret handshake!