I'm trying to pretend that I'm not currently in a house filled to the brim with Halloween candy and cookies (must show restraint!), getting prepared for a hectic evening of taking Brynne trick-or-treating and hosting our own neighborhood trick-or-treaters. I finished my Halloween quilt in class last Thursday, just in time to display it for Halloween this year.
The basic pattern is taken from the Spooky Sampler from Tea Thyme Quilts. I was pretty faithful to the pattern design, but I made quite a few changes in the methodology. For example, the pattern suggested painting the mouths for all the blocks, whereas I used rough edge applique. Here are some close-ups:
I hand embroidered "Boo"... yes, I still need to work on my embroidery!
I used a blanket stitch in contrasting thread to applique the larger shapes. The light background fabric is one of my favorite reproduction prints from Judie Rothermel. The mismatched button eyes all came from my stash. The quilting for the main panel is in the ditch, and then I added a freehand, spiderweb pattern in silver metallic thread in the outer border.
The narrow strip of black and white fabric (I thought it looked a bit like bones!) is a 3-dimensional flange. This is the first time I've used this technique, and I really like the effect. It adds an extra dimensional detail to this quilt, and I really like the contrast between it and the outer and inner borders. This was a really fun quilt to make - I like the folk art references and the quirkiness of the characters!