A little while back I decided to join in the fun that is the Secret Pal 5 swap. Although primarily populated by knitters, I noticed that crocheters were also welcome to join in. We just received our swap partners, and my secret pal has kindly requested that I complete this questionnaire here. So, here goes:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? In general, I'm appreciative of the finer things in life - good quality chocolate, tea, gourmet foods, fine fibers, etc. So, my first run for yarn is to the natural fibers and more expensive yarns. However, since having a child, I've also come to realize that easy-care, less expensive fibers also have a very important place in this world. I guess it depends on the project and whether or not I need to machine wash it, etc. If I'm making something for a child to wear, I know it won't be worn long anyway (because they grow so fast!), so I can use something less expensive...
2. Do you spin? Crochet? Unfortunately for my partner, I am exclusively a crocheter for now. I have plans on taking a knitting class, but so far haven't had the time. I'm probably the only SP5 participant who doesn't knit! Although spinning sounds interesting, I don't think I have any interest in learning myself. There are already so many beautiful yarns out there, and I'm not sure I have anything to add at this point. But, wait a few months and this will probably be my next craft obsession!
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) I'm definitely not a smoker and am not crazy about the smell of smoke. Other than that, I'm pretty easy. I don't wear fragrances myself, so I tend to be pretty aware of them on other people/things.
4. How long have you been
knitting crocheting? My mom taught me to crochet when I was pretty little - I think probably around 8 or 9. The first thing I remember crocheting was a little harness and leash for my hamster. For some reason, I was convinced that I would be able to take my hamster out for walks... it didn't quite work out, but that didn't stop me from trying! Later, I also crocheted ear warmers for my rabbit (complete with chin strap to keep them on!) - I guess I was worried that his ears would get too cold, sticking up in the air like they do...
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, I do. Here it is! If you check it out, you'll notice that some items are obviously intended for my little toddler girl, where others are for me. On some items, it may be hard to tell which of us they are intended for!
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I guess my long-time favorite would be lavender, although I'm also getting into some of the more modern scents like green or white tea, pear, citrus. I'm generally into fresh, clean scents as opposed to very floral scents.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? I have a huge sweet tooth that I constantly try to reign in. I love dark chocolate - the darker the better.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Well, you can see a lot of my current projects through this blog. I love to quilt, sew, and crochet, and I'm just finishing up a mosaic class that has been really fun. I also dabble (meaning buy magazines about!) in beading, hoping to one day figure that out... Also at the top of my list is to learn needle felting.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like a variety of types of music, although I seem to be listening to a more narrow selection these days. For nostalgia purposes, you just can't beat some good 80s new wave. Later in high school and through college I was quite the indie music girl, subsisting heavily on Sebadoh, Stereolab, Fugazi, John Spencer Blues Explosion, Jawbreaker, Pavement, etc. Then, in grad school and since then, my taste shifted a bit (largely thanks to Jerry) to more electronic and/or minimal music. Now I listen to a lot of Mogwai, Fischer Spooner, Mum, Solvent, Squarepusher, and the like. I'd have to say that some of my favorite artists, regardless of genre, are: Prince, PJ Harvey, Bjork, The Rachels, Blonde Redhead, Sinead O'Connor (older stuff), etc. We can definitely play mp3s here!
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? There isn't a single color I don't like - it's all based on context. I really love greens (that must be why my name is Kelly!) and oranges, not necessarily together...
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am married (7 years this September!) to my dream guy, with a beautiful little girl named Brynne who just turned 2. We have 2 cats (Divali and Issey) and Brynne has a little fish named Blue Fish.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) At its simplest, I dream of a life where my family is happy and healthy. Beyond that, I would love to get to a place where I could make enough money working for myself doing crafty stuff. I also love to travel, and it's hard for me to think of a place I wouldn't like to go...
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to
knit crochet with? I love using Tahki Cotton Classic because there are so many colors available, and it works up really nicely for tight, close crochet work. I've recently been working with plain old Lamb's Price Bulky, and I love how quickly it works up - definitely not the cleanest yarn out there (what were those sheep doing???), but I've been pretty happy with it.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? None that I can think of (see #1).
15. What is/are your current
knitting crochet obsession/s? Definitely Japanese amigurumi crochet critters - the cuter the better!
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to
knit crochet? I've had a lot of fun making hats lately - they go pretty quickly. I'm also experimenting with crocheted critters (see #15).
17. What are you
knitting crocheting right now? I'm finishing up a little dress for Brynne (that is taking forever!), and a little surprise for someone that I can't give details on yet!
18. What do you think about ponchos? I think ponchos are cute and fun, but I don't think they'll be around much longer... I crocheted one for my sister-in-law last Christmas so that she could nurse her newborn in public without revealing all...
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? 20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? 21. Are you a sock knitter? 22. How did you learn to knit?
23. How old is your oldest UFO? The oldest one is the dress I mentioned for my daughter. I started it in January, I think, but it is a long process, and it keeps getting pushed aside for other, more pressing projects...
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Don't really have a favorite animated character, although I definitely love all the Japanese stuff out there - Sanrio, San-x, and beyond... As for animals, I'm definitely caught up in this whole bird/owl crafty trend right now...
25. What is your favorite holiday? Definitely Halloween! I hope this counts as a holiday!
26. Is there anything that you collect? Me and collecting are a dangerous pair (just ask my husband!). I have the annoying tendency to get really into something for a while (maybe even a couple of years), and buy up tons of related stuff, only to eventually lose interest and move onto the next thing. It's a sad story, but true. My current obsessions are definitely craft related - Japanese craft books and magazines, fabric (vintage and new), and anything cool (especially vintage crafting materials - fabric, trims, yarn, etc.) that I can pick up at the thrift store!
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don't subscribe to any needlecraft magazines at all - I just pick them up when I see something I'd like to make... I do subscribe to a bunch of other magazines: Ready Made, Dwell, Metropolitan Home, Interior Design, Martha Stewart Living and Kids, Elle Decor... I love magazines!
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on? Check my Amazon wish list - Cozy Crochet is one I'd like to have, and The Portable Crafter: Crochet looks good, but it's not out yet...
Phew! I hope this helps Secret Pal! We now return to our regularly scheduled programming!